Any mic, any pre, any time. Plug your four favorite mics and micpreamps into the MicMAID, and pick the best combination for every session. With its convenient level-matching capabilities and user-programmable routing schemes, this is the ultimate tool for auditioning and comparing your finest equipment. Get ready to find the sound you're looking for faster (and easier) than ever.
Start cleaning up YOUR workflow with a MicMAID.
The MicMAID was designed to fill a particular niche in the business that has never really been addressed: auditioning and selecting microphones and microphone preamplifiers. Proper pairing of mics and preamps has always been (and always will be!) a vital step in the tracking process, but there has never been a simple, accurate way of doing this. Since we are in the business of providing tools to professional sound engineers, we saw this obstacle as an opportunity to flex our design muscles and create something that could finally fill this void.
In the past, records were made in studios. Big studios, with big consoles, with banks and banks of microphone preamplifiers. With a console full of micpre's available, it was easy to audition several microphones through four almost identical preamps. In today's world, however, most do not have this luxury. In a home studio, most people only own a few preamps and a few microphones. With a conventional patchbay, auditioning gear takes time - muting monitors, unplugging sources, repatching, adjusting gain for the new microphone or preamp - and in this time, our memory for the sound we just had a minute ago (or more) has faded. We might recall a general idea ("breathy", "boomy", etc.) but we don't REALLY remember precisely what we were hearing.
With the MicMAID, this problem is solved. Four mics are plugged in, four preamplifiers are plugged in, and that's it. Hear any mic through any pre, any way you like. For each of the four signal paths, levels are easily adjusted and saved - this level-matching fixes the all-too-common problem we encounter when we just assume the "louder" signal path is the "better" signal path. Subtle sonic differences between pieces of equipment are now instantly percievable, with a simplicity never previously available.
In addition to the four main outputs the routing matrix provides, there is a fifth output labeled MON/REC on the rear panel. Although this is described as a "monitor" output, this output can (and should) be used for recording purposes - for it is only this output that utilises the active components of the MicMAID. These include the level-matching capabilities and the Variable Phase section of the unit. When the continuously variable phase circuit is selected, it allows you to easily phase-align the selected mic signal (or the front-panel DI signal) with another microphone. This phase adjustment has an all-pass filter with two selectable center frequencies, making it useful on a variety of sources.
With four passive hard-wired signal paths and its versatile monitoring section, we'd like to think that the MicMAID can help you find the sound you're looking for just a little quicker than you could before. It's a tool of the trade, and as with all tools, you should feel free to be creative and think up new ways to use it that make your life easier and your recordings better.
Here below are some demostration files and videos made by a great customer, Keith Felch.
"I employed the talents of an excellent vocalist, and we demonstrated the following mics: the Manley Gold Reference (Stereo, using one side only), the Brauner VM1, the AKG C414 XLS, and the Telefunken CU-29 Copperhead.
"The 4 mic pre's we demo's were: the Manley TNT Tube, the Manley TNT Solid State, the GML 8304, and the Grace m103 (pre only)."
Manley Labs MicMAID Demo (short version) - YouTube
Manley Labs MicMAID Demo (full version) - YouTube
and here's the link to the sixteen thirty-second demonstrated clips in 24bit/48kHz.
Hope this helps you make some outboard/mic/pre choices!
Features & Specifications
- FOUR Microphones A/B/C/D matrix to FOUR external Microphone preamplifiers 1/2/3/4
- LOCK each selection combination for comparison
- Front-panel 1/4" Direct Input with Variable Phase circuit and Ground Lift switch
- THRU: mirrored output of the Direct Input
- Low/High range select for Variable Phase all-pass filter
- Remote Fader jack for manual gain riding
- Polarity Switch flips phase 180degrees for selected Matrix path
- MONITOR SECTION has ±19.5 dB gain trim for each signal path
- STORE and RECALL settings for gain, mic & pre combinations
- Phantom Power selection for each microphone A/B/C/D
- DIRECT OUTPUT provided for each micpreamp return
- Pickle Remote can step through each microphone or each preamplfier for "sweet spot" selection
- Variable illumination brightness user-selectable in three levels
- High-quality, gold-contact sealed relays used throughout
- Neutrik gold-contact XLR jacks
- Input Impedance: ≈ 120K Ohms
- Gain Ratio: 12:1 Step down.
- Voltage Gain: -22 dB (Signal Source: Sine 1 kHz, +4dBu, 6K8 Ohm Source Impedance, 1K Ohm secondary load impedance)
- ROUTING MATRIX
- Matrix Crosstalk:
- Leakage from adjacent microphone inputs: ≥ 117 dB (1 kHz sine)
- Leakage from adjacent Preamp sends: ≥ 107 dB (1 kHz Sine)
- Microphone Inputs terminated with source Z=150 Ohm, Preamps sends terminated with 2K7 Ohm load
- Gain: ±19.5 dB (.5 db steps)
- Frequency response: ±.5 db 10 Hz- 100 kHz
- Outputs: XLR Electronically Balanced
- Output Impedance: 66 Ohms
- Max Output Level:+28dbu into 100K load @ .025% THD+ NOISE
- Distortion: 0.003% THD+NOISE
- Bandwidth: 22 Hz - 22 kHz, Unity gain, into 100K Ohm load
- Noise Floor: -90dbu A-weighted
- Dynamic Range: 118 db
- CMMR: ≥ 86 dB (1 kHz sine, 50mV input)
- Note: Mon/Rec active stage ALWAYS "looks" at selected PREAMP as its signal source.
DIMS AND POWER
- Power Consumption Idle: 12 watts 0.1 Amp @ 120V
- Power Consumption Maximum: 20 watts 0.17 Amp @ 120V
- Mains Fuse: 500mA @ 100~120VAC; 250mA @ 220 ~ 240VAC
- Mains Fuse type: 5mm x 20mm SLO-BLO GDC glass fuse, 250V AC rating
- NOTE: Operating mains voltage: Units are purpose built for original destination country's mains voltage: 100V, 120V, or 220-240VAC
as indicated on the serial number badge. The power transformer in this unit must be rewired in order to change mains operating voltage.
- Unit Size: 19" x 10" x 3.5" (occupies 2u)
- Unit Weight: xx lbs.
- Shipping Weight: 19 dim. (international); 17 lbs. (USA)
- Shipping Box Dimensions: 23" x 15" x 9"
Specifications subject to change because they just might.
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
Manley MicMAID 4x4 Matrix-Switcher: $3,500